When Should a Man Seek Fertility Treatments?

Posted .

You may be surprised to hear that 40 percent of infertility causes can be attributed to male infertility.  Sorry guys, but there is good news.   In most cases, a reproductive endocrinologist or reproductive urologist can identify the problem with an evaluation of the male reproductive system.   The production of healthy sperm and the sperm transport system are both essential for natural conception.  If you have been trying to conceive without success for one year, it may be time to have an evaluation.

Problems with sperm production can stem from a number of factors.   Congenital issues with the testicle may be present from birth, hormone imbalances and varicose veins can also disrupt sperm production.   Environmental exposures, cancer treatments and even lifestyle choices may affect male fertility.   Obesity,  drinking alcohol and smoking can each have a negative impact on your fertility.   Changes in lifestyle can make some improvements, however, there may be medical conditions hindering your fertility.     After twelve months of trying to conceive,  you should seek help from a reproductive endocrinologist.

Obstruction of the outflow tract can prevent sperm from reaching their target.   Surgeries to the area, infections and congenital  abnormalities can cause obstructions.   Hormone imbalances and tumors can also impact the transportation of sperm.   If you have pain,  problems with ejaculation,  lumps or swelling in your testicles , or have had a vasectomy you will want to consult with a fertility physician.   Treatment for male infertility can be geared to increase or improve sperm production.  Specialized surgery may be required to correct obstructions to the transport system.    In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a treatment option where eggs and sperm are collected and fertilization takes place in a laboratory.  Less sperm is required for IVF and if necessary sperm can be aspirated from the testicles where it is produced.

It is important to evaluate female and male partners when trying to conceive.  If you are interested in consulting with one of our Reproductive Enodocrinologists,  reach out to us at Utah Fertility Center.  You can schedule an appointment by calling 801-785-5100.